Arrangements for transportation in Budapest

Participants staying in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget and Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget will be transported from the hotels to the venue each morning and back to the hotel each night.

How to get to RaM if on your own >>

Member Churches of the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Hungary

Ecumenical Council of Churches in Hungary (ECCH)
The Ecumenical Council of Churches in Hungary was formed in 1943 on the initiative of the Reformed Bishop László Ravasz and Lutheran National Supervisor Albert Radvánszky. The horrors of the Second World War as well as international ecumenical developments meant that the time had arrived for such an organisation to be born. The organisation was greatly influential both during and after the war with its theological, spiritual and social services.

The Council currently consists of eleven Protestant, Orthodox and Anglican member churches. Moreover, it provides a platform of cooperation for 28 churches – among others, the Hungarian Catholic Church – and church affiliated organizations.

The formation of the Council, just like the various steps towards European integration, was motivated by a desire to achieve peace and justice both on a national and an international level. Regarding the latter, the organisation has taken an active part in the work of the Conference of European Churches (CEC). Since the 1990s, the Council has participated in a kind of détente facilitated by the Helsinki process, promoting European integration through the Church and Society Commission of CEC.

The Social-Ethical Committee of the ECCH constantly keeps the question of European integration on its agenda. The Committee has been drafting several thematic reflections and has made sure to keep the member churches informed about these issues.

www.meot.hu

Reformed Church in Hungary (RCH)
In the 16th century, parallel with the European Reformation, the Swiss Reformation, Calvin’s teachings, especially, spread rapidly throughout the Carpathian Basin. The existence of the Hungarian Reformed Church is dated from the Synod of Debrecen in 1567, when the Heidelberg Catechism and the Second Helvetic Confession were adopted. Nevertheless, in legal terms the Hungarian Reformed Community could not give shape to its unity before 1881, the date of the first General Synod. As a result of the Treaty of Trianon, following the First World War, a significant part of the RCH’s members found themselves outside Hungary’s new borders. Globally, there are approximately 2.5 millions of Hungarian Reformed people registered.

Of these, approximately 1.5 live in Hungary, and nearly a million in various neighbouring countries. The Hungarian Reformed community in the Carpathian Basin had the chance to give public witness to the fact that: “Christ is the future, we’ll join hands and follow Him,” by signing the Constitution of the Hungarian Reformed Church on 22 May 2009.

The Reformation – through the translation of the Bible and Genevan psalms into Hungarian, the introduction of the printing press in the 1530s and the expanding school network – had a lasting impression not only on Hungarian literature and language, but also on the development of Hungarian thinking in general. For centuries, the famous colleges (in Debrecen, Sárospatak, Pápa, Kecskemét, Nagyvárad, Nagyenyed, Kolozsvár and Marosvásárhely) were fortresses of Hungarian Reformed culture and education, cultivating the talents of numerous would-be poets, scientists and politicians.

Today, the RCH is comprised of 1,196 congregations in 27 presbyteries. The presbyteries form four church districts: Danubian, Transdanubian, Cistibiscan, Transtibisca. The main legislative and executive body of the RCH is the Synod, which is elected every six years and consists of 100 members. Presently, the RCH operates a hospital, 257 diaconal services, 122 educational institutions and 11 conference centres. The training of Reformed ministers takes place in four institutions (Debrecen, Budapest, Sárospatak, Pápa).

 http://www.reformatus.hu/our-church/

Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople Orthodox Exarchate in Hungary
The spiritual relationship between the Church of Constantinople and Hungary dates back to the 10th century. Throughout the Middle Ages, Byzantine priests and monks lived peacefully in the country, and there were flourishing Orthodox monasteries as well (in Veszprém, Marosvár, Visegrád, Pásztó, Dunapetele and Szávaszentdemeter).

The active nature of Hungarian-Byzantine relations is amply represented by dynastic marriages; Piroska, daughter of Hungarian king Saint Ladislau, for example, became a Byzantine empress; she was later canonised as Saint Irene Prisca by the Greek Orthodox Church.

Following the Mongol invasion and Turkish rule, Orthodoxy began to regain its strength through the settlement of different nations in Hungary. Orthodox people of Greek or other nationality built churches and schools to retain ties with their church as well as their new home.

After the Treaty of Trianon, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople established the Saint Metropoly in Hungary on 15 April 1924 to provide spiritual care of Greek congregations in the country. The legal successor of the metropoly is the Orthodox Exarchate in Hungary.

Thus, the Patriarchate has been present in the life of the Hungarian state and Hungarian Christianity for over a thousand years. However, it has only been operating as an Exarchate since 1990, when democracy and freedom of religion were restored. We have churches in Beloiannisz, Szentes, Karcag and Kecskemét. In Budapest there is an office and a chapel. There are an estimated thousand adherents. Our leader is Arsenios Kardamakis Metropolitan, Exarch of Hungary and Central Europe.

Pentacostal Church in Hungary
The Pentacostal Church in Hungary belongs to the family of 600 million Pentecostals. It runs back over 100 years of history and has congregations in 120 settlements. In Pentecostal congregations there are a lot of children and young adults, therefore, the liturgy is youthful. Congregations work together with the Christian denominations for the favour of the society. With the help of their Roma Mission Aid, the church fends for 10,000 poor people in 160 settlements by the work of 1,500 social workers. It provides social, daily meals to 1,300 people. In our diaconal institute in Kadarkút, we ensure board and lodging of elderly people.

In Hungary, the Pentecostal Church established its first drug rehabilitation institutes in Dunaharaszti for women and in Budapest for men. Two hundred people can be rehabilitated at the same time in ambulant departments, rehabilitation institutes and in homes. In the last 20 years, thousands of peoples’ lives were restored and they became useful members of their family and society again.

In many settlements, nursery schools and primary schools are supported by the church, and it has an acknowledged Theological Academy, which launched the MA programme. In the last few years, our church has sent more than 50 million HUF worth of aid to the Kongo. We support the construction and maintenance of hospitals and schools on the continent of Africa, and in addition, our missionaries are working on a Bible translation in Kamerun.

The Anglican Communion in Hungary
The Anglican Communion traces its roots to the ancient Church of England, going back to the late second century after Christ.   Anglicans have been living and worshipping in Hungary since at least the late 1800s, probably well before, with a priest often commuting from Vienna and ministering to English families with business interests in the area.

The Chaplaincy’s most current Register of Services begins with a record of Evensong and prayer for the people of Hungary during the Hungarian Revolution of October 1956.   But, the Community in its present form actually dates to 1992, when a permanent chaplain came at last to reside in Budapest.   Saint Margaret of Scotland, born in Hungary in the eleventh century, was chosen as patron.  

Today, the Saint Margaret’s Community is a vibrant – if small – force on the Hungarian religious scene.

The Community includes diplomats, business people, students and academics, and retirees from many parts of the European Union and the world -- the United Kingdom, Canada, Romania, several African nations, and the United States.  Many Hungarians are of course also members.  

We welcome all in the name of Christ.

Evangelical-Lutheran Church in Hungary
Our church is the community united in Jesus Christ, consisting of nearly three hundred Lutheran congregations. The members, despite all their differences, form ‘one body’, whether they belong to a tiny diaspora congregation or a ten-thousand-strong one.

There are three bishops coordinating the work of the congregations, so that the Gospel can reach even those areas where only a single Lutheran lives in a village, while still present in places where our members are in majority. The seats of the three church districts (Buda, Győr and Pest) are at the same time spiritual centres for all Lutherans.

The administrative centre of our church – located in Budapest – provides services to facilitate the work of our congregations and church institutions. Apart from the Education, Economic, Construction, Legal and Youth Departments (which are all available for Lutherans), this centre is open for everyone who is in need of help from the services of mission in hospitals, prisons or other aspects of mission work, as well as the University Chaplaincy.

In our 37 institutions of education (kindergartens and schools), there are about 7,000 students being prepared for life by nearly 1,000 teachers. There are over 100 students studying at the Evangelical-Lutheran Theological University to become pastors or teachers of religion.

In our diaconal institutions, hundreds of elderly people are provided with a home and community for the last period of their lives. We also provide services for disabled children. The homeless shelter in Nyíregyháza, the centre for the rehabilitation of alcoholics in Györköny, the social care centre in Piliscsaba, and the home care services in Kiskőrös and Szarvas, all prove the social sensitivity of Lutherans.

Our holiday resorts – in Balatonszárszó, Gyenesdiás, Sopron, for example – provide the recuperation of body and soul, and our conference centres – such as the ones in Révfülöp and Piliscsaba – offer the opportunity of spiritual refreshment for those in search of the more profound meanings of life.

Baptist Union of Hungary
Within the two-thousand-year history of Christianity, it was during the period of the Reformation that a Gospel awakening movement started, following Biblical doctrines. We consider ourselves to be the modern descendants of this movement. The first missionaries professing Baptist principles arrived in Hungary from Switzerland in 1525, many of whom suffered martyrdom on account of their faith.

What differentiates Baptists from other Protestants is the fact that we reject infant baptism, which lacks the element of faith. Instead, returning to the original Biblical practice, we baptise by full immersion of those adults who confess their faith, following the example and instruction of Jesus. This is where the Baptist name comes from, because in the New Testament’s Greek language the word Baptism refers to the practice of immersion.

Globally, Baptists have outnumbered the followers of any other Protestant denomination. The biggest number of Baptists live in the Americas. There are nearly 110 million Baptists – including their family members – around the world. In Hungary, after the terrible persecution and exile following the Reformation, the modern Baptist mission was revived in 1846 in a more organised form. Within the present borders of Hungary, there are approximately 30-40 thousand people involved in the Baptist church, including family members and supporters. There are an estimated 250,000 Baptist believers of Hungarian or other nationality in the Carpathian Basin.

The United Methodist Church in Hungary
The episcopal branch of the Methodist movement of the 18th century has been present in Hungary since 1898. The Methodist church is a free evangelical church based on the Reformation. Apart from the Anglican teaching, its formation was primarily defined by Luther’s, Calvin’s and the Herrnhutian influence.

The UMC in Hungary is part of the global United Methodist Church and is an active member of the European Methodist Council. It belongs to the Episcopal Area of Central and Southern Europe together with twelve other countries.

The Methodist Church has always been characterised by an ecumenical way of thinking that takes into consideration both Hungarian and international conditions. Apart from being a member of the Hungarian Ecumenical Council of Churches (ECCH), it also belongs to the World Council of Churches (WCC), the Conference of European Churches (CEC) and the Community of Protestant Churches in Europe (CPCE). Methodist representatives actively participate in each of these organisations.

The ministries of the church have always reflected a responsible attitude towards the social problems of the Hungarian nation. The social issues and advancement of the Roma community are considered of great importance. The UMC in Hungary runs two homes for the elderly and is engaged in work with disadvantaged children and youth, alcoholics and prisoners. Special emphasis is put on serving and strengthening families within and outside the church. The UMC in Hungary is characterised by small communities reaching out to people in need in their neighbourhood.

Serbian Orthodox Church
The Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Buda belongs to the Serbian Patriarchate. Although its formation dates back to the first half of the 17th century, we already had congregations in Hungary operating in an organised form in the 15th century. Our monastery-church in Ráckeve (1487) is a unique memento of the first, greater settlements in Hungary.

During the Great Migration (1690) led by Patriarch Arsenije Čarnojević, nearly 20,000 Serbian Orthodox families settled down in Hungary, fleeing Turkish revenge. Of our forty churches still standing, most were built in the 18th century. The episcopal seat of our diocese is Szentendre, where in a period of 20 years, seven churches have been erected by the Serbian community.

Our monastery in Grábóc (Tolna country), which was founded in the 16th century, is a masterpiece of Orthodox church art.

After centuries of being the centre of Serbian religion and national identity in Hungary, between the Second World War and the political changes of 1989, the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Buda lost its network of schools, the support of the foundations – as these were forced to close down – as well as most of its possessions.

Since the political changes, we have again been involved in education. The famous Thökölyanum Student Hostel, founded in 1838 and closed down after the Second World War, was reopened.

The Serbian Orthodox Church Museum is the biggest of its kind in Central Europe, and is the third most popular museum in Szentendre.

Under the dissection of the current Bishop of our diocese, Voiszlav Gality, there are 14 priests and three deacons serving the community.

The main activity of our small diocese is to disseminate knowledge but also serve missionary purposes, by the operation of the publishing house Odigitria, the aim of which is to provide information about Orthodox theology and spirituality through publishing representative Orthodox works of art in Hungarian translation.

Information for Local TransportInformation for Local Transport

Welcome to Budapest!

Trying to find Assembly locations?  View this Google Map with all the important Assembly locations "pinpointed" for you...

BUD International Airport - RaM Colosseum, Conference Centre
http://goo.gl/maps/511zg

BUD International Airport - Danubius Hotel Helia
http://goo.gl/maps/R3MA6

BUD International Airport - Danubius Hotel Margitsziget
http://goo.gl/maps/9wxLk

Eastern Railway Station - Danubius Hotel Margitsziget
http://goo.gl/maps/Dgacn

Eastern Railway Station - Danubius Hotel Helia
http://goo.gl/maps/HLD6o

Eastern Railway Station - RaM Colosseum
http://goo.gl/maps/wyvbj

West Railway Station - RaM Colosseum
http://goo.gl/maps/e1SLs

West Railway Station - Danubius Hotel Helia
http://goo.gl/maps/4ACWj

West Railway Station - Danubius Hotel Margitsziget
http://goo.gl/maps/AMDSI

Népliget (Bus station) - Danubius Hotel Margitsziget
http://goo.gl/maps/K0MOL

Népliget (Bus station) - Danubius Hotel Helia
http://goo.gl/maps/j5XHE

Népliget (Bus station) - RaM Colosseum
http://goo.gl/maps/zof9K